Friday, May 9, 2014

DToW #1 (Make Time for Other Things)

Tip #1

Don't forget your friends and family.  It is very, very easy to get wrapped up in design to the point you don't think, or talk, about anything else.  Sometimes this is good and healthy, but make sure not to take it too far.

It is probably appropriate that I post this right before Mothers Day weekend (I have two kids 6 and 3).  There is no one recent experience that brought this up, but I think it is crucial to being successful.  Work life balance is key.  Game design can feel like a 2nd full time job and it is easy to get burnt out. 

If you are struck by inspiration either write things down, or set aside a little time to work on your project, then lay it down.  If you have someone you share a space with (partner, wife, friend, parent, children) make sure after you are done you spend time with them.  It doesn't just burn you out to work all the time, it affects those around you too.  It affects your mood when you are with them.  M

Don't forget to go out with your friends.  Play games.  Go to a restaurant or drinking establishment.  For most of us design isn't a full time profession.  Most of us have other professions.  So if this becomes as much work as our full time job you won't have energy for anything else.  When I am happy I am at my most productive.  Taking a night off every once in a while brings inspiration.  Lets you look at things with a new set of eyes.  When you are too close to a problem, or design, for too long it is hard to see other possibilities.

This is a little touchy feely for my first post, but I think it is important.  Next week I will be talking about a cool way I found to make sure my lines are where I want them to be when using a cutting board.   Until then, I am Peter, keep designing great games.

No comments:

Post a Comment