Sunday, June 8, 2014

DToW #6 (Tokens)

Why tokens?

I usually use a mix of tokens and cards.  So how do I decide?  If there is just a little bit of information to relay I will usually use tokens.  They are smaller, so take up less room.  They are also cheaper to make, at least the way I do it.  For cards I need to buy sleeves to make shuffling easier.  For tokens I can just put them in a Ziploc bag to shuffle.  There is also something nice about the way a thick token feels.  Makes the game more visceral.

Why not buy little plastic chits, isn't that easier and cheaper?

In some situations I agree, plastic chips make perfect sense.  We like to add a lot of theme to our games, and these are a fairly inexpensive, low tech way to do that.  Certainly there will be times for generic chips, but when you get the games in front of play testers or publishers the more immersed you can get them the better.  Just the little bit of graphic design that will let you know, oh cool that is a bow, or ore.  We don't make elaborate prototypes, but components matter.  And if you can do it quick and fairly cheap, even better.

So how do you make tokens?

Surprise, this week I tried my hand at a video.  Come back when you are done watching to get a link to the punchers I use and some other components I discuss in the video.  Here is the link, it's only 3 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_MtGDefrVo&feature=youtu.be

What about double sided tokens?

Yea, I forgot to put that in the video.  Just do the same thing on the other side.  I do try to line them up so when you flip them you don't have to do a whole lot of adjusting, but that is just me and it certainly takes more time.

What do you do if you mess up or change the tokens?

I just print on the 110lb paper again, punch it out, and glue it on top.  If the tokens start getting too thick, I will use a hobby knife to peel off the top few layers first.

What is this Coaster Board you speak of?

I used Chip Board a lot at first, but I was having a hard time finding a thickness I liked.  The medium was way too heavy and broke one of my punchers.  And the light seemed too light.  The side benefit of the Coaster Board is the clean look to the back of your tokens.  I still use Chip Board to make the board, or other pieces, just not tokens any more.  Here is a link:  http://www.stampinup.com/ECWeb/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=129392

What size punches do you use?

I use 3/4 inch punches for smaller tokens.  It seems to be a good size to fit 1 piece of info.  Here is a link to one that is pretty affordable:

http://www.amazon.com/EK-Tools-Circle-0-75-Inch-Package/dp/B0090JVBP0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1402285006&sr=8-8&keywords=ek+tools+punches

I use 1.25 inch punch for bigger tokens that I need to get more information on.  Here is a link to the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/EK-Tools-Circle-1-25-Inch-Package/dp/B0090JVF7E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1402285189&sr=8-9&keywords=ek+tools+punches

Anything else?

Nope that is it for this week, hope you enjoyed it.  Next week I will be talking about player aids.  Until then, I am Peter, keep designing great games.

No comments:

Post a Comment