Sunday, May 10, 2015

Design Tip of the Week #28 (How to Make Standees)

Who are you and why are you here?

Yea, I know. I thought I was done too. But I realized people love these how to posts, so I am back with how to make Standees for your game.

What do you need?

Coaster Board ($6)
http://www.stampinup.com/ECWeb/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=129392

1 1/4 inch Hole Punch ($9)
http://www.amazon.com/EK-Tools-Circle-1-25-Inch-Package/dp/B0090JVF7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431314216&sr=8-1&keywords=1.25+inch+hole+punch

3/4 inch Hole Punch (not necessary, but useful anyway so I would get one) ($8)
http://www.amazon.com/EK-Tools-Circle-0-75-Inch-Package/dp/B0090JVBP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431314302&sr=8-1&keywords=.75+inch+hole+punch

110 lb paper ($16 for 250 sheets)
http://www.amazon.com/Neenah-Exact-Inches-Sheets-Bright/dp/B006P1Z59E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431314344&sr=8-1&keywords=110+lb+cardstock

Super Glue
Glue Stick
Scissors or Paper Cutter

Do you get money if I buy stuff from your links?

No, I am not that smart. That is just what I use.

I got all this crap, now what?

Print and Cut out the picture you want for you standee. I printed 2 pictures, one for each side. Mine are also mirror images of each other, so if I wanted to cut really close to the outline of the character I could do that. I cut both images out before attaching to the Coaster Board. I did not do this the first time and broke one of my hole punches. The paper reinforcing the board is too much for most things to cut.



Then use your Glue Stick to glue one image to the Coaster Board. Cut the Coaster Board around the outside of the image. Then use the Glue Stick again to paste the mirror image on the back.



Now I have the standee, how do I make it stand?

So here is the real trick. You could just buy stands, but those are awful expensive. If you are making many prototypes, or even a really nice PnP for a game you love you can easily make your own base.

Use the 2 Hole Punches on the Coaster Board to make 1 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch circles. If you didn't buy the 3/4 inch punch it is ok. You can just make two 1 1/4 inch circles.

Now, cut the 3/4 inch circle in half with scissors or your paper cutter to make Stabilizers. This is what you should have:



If you made two 1 1/4 inch circles then you need to cut the ends off one of the circles and just use the ends to make your Stabilizers.

Now use the Super Glue to make a line down the middle with some extra put around the middle for the stabilizers. This is what it looks like:



Now put the standee on the middle line of glue and put the Stabilizers on the outside. Let it dry overnight and you are good to go.

Don't forget the Stabilizers.  These are key to making the standee last over time and duress. I sent 2 packages from Maryland (USA) to Canada and the UK and the standees were still intact.



Wow that standee looks amazing, where did you get the image?




Let the shilling begin. This image was created by an amazing artist names Venessa Kelley for a game called Salvation Road. It can be found here on Board Game Geek: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153991/salvation-road

Also, it had a Kickstarter starting 5/11/2015. Check it out here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1459655047/salvation-road

What's next? That's it for this week, next week I am going to talk about how (and why) to make a half moon tracker.  Until then, I am Peter, keep designing great games.

No comments:

Post a Comment